Contributors

Other

Listed on BlogShares

Add This

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

26 September 2005

Lawyers debate God vs. science
By Jon Hurdle


HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania (Reuters) - The lawsuit over whether intelligent design should be taught in schools alongside evolution began in federal court on Monday with defendants' attorneys calling it a scientific theory and opponents saying it was an effort to put God in the classroom. In the first such legal battle, lawyers sparred during opening arguments at Federal District Court in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, over whether the teaching of intelligent design -- an alternative to evolution that involves a God-like creator -- violates the U.S. Constitution. The battle over teaching about man's origins in U.S. schools pits Christian conservatives against educators and scientists in a trial viewed as the biggest test of the issue since the late 1980s. "Intelligent design isn't science. It's old theology," said Eric Rothschild, lawyer for 11 parents who sued the Dover school district of central Pennsylvania over including intelligent design in its ninth-grade biology curriculum.

"It's a clever tactical repackaging of creationism," he said, telling a packed courtroom that the U.S. Supreme Court outlawed teaching creationism in public schools in 1987.

Creationism is the belief that God created the world as told in Genesis. The parents are joined in their cause by the American Civil Liberties Union, America's largest civil liberties group. Pat Gillen, a lawyer for the Dover school district, said intelligent design is anchored in science and is not creationism in disguise. He also rejected the accusation that it was unconstitutional to teach the theory to students.


(reuters.co.uk)


What's next, Teaching Norse, Greek and Roman Mythology in school as Science? If this wasn't a serious court case I would be rolling around, laughing myself to death...

18 comments:

121774 said...

I definitely like your site, bookmarked!

I've got a natural penis enlargement reviews related site. It covers natural penis enlargement reviews related articles.

Drop by when you can.

hiro said...

Cool blog you have going here, I will check in often! I have a similar site about toronto lawyer. It pretty much covers toronto lawyer related stuff.

hiro said...

Just thought i would say hi from Japan. Doing some blog surfing and found your site. Im looking for some cool styles of florida injury lawyer for my own blog. Theres some really amazing blogs about. if you have time check out my site you will find information on florida injury lawyer. Well when i get my blog running hope you come and check it out.

Tom Naka said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about life health insurance

kats blog said...

Hey nice blog, really nice! I just want to let you know I have an travel nursing
site - blog too!
It's a free information site with tips and secrets for saving big money on your next vacation!

It mostly deals with travel nursing plus other stuff
You Can Save Up to 50% off your next vacation
You Should check it out if you get the chance :-)

St Louis Cardinals BUFF said...

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 7 because you have good content but lack of quality posts.

Free Access To More Information Aboutjournals

sillygalz said...

Cool blog! If you get a chance you may want to visit this natural penis enlargement website, it is very cool.

doer said...

Hello, just visited your blog, it's informative. I also have a better sex life related website, hope that it is useful to you

badgirlzz said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.

If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about average penis size of black man. It pretty much covers average penis size of black man and other similar topics available.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I enjoy reading info on travel reservation I have a blog on a similar subject here travel reservation

Editor Choice said...

Many Thanks for your nice blog. I will come back.
Here an interesting site regarding: Chicago travel: Best prices at Chicago travel, best in travel industry in Chicago have great deals in travel industry on hotels, flights, Chicago tours, Concerts, Sports Tickets, Restaurants, sight seeing in Chicago and much more. Has an impressive guide on Chicago for your visit to Chicago, to provide useful travel information, hints and tips.

Smallman said...

Excellent blog.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a christmas gift site/blog. It pretty much covers gift ideas for christmas related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a christmas gift site/blog. It pretty much covers gift ideas for christmas related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Colleen said...

Great blog, I was looking for freelance web designer related info and found you. :)

Colleen
Affordable Web Design

accordion-3B2DD4 said...

Great blog! I also have a site about female waterskiing champions
. You can check it out at female waterskiing champions
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

Arnie Brown said...

I like your blog, and will add it to "my favorites". I am new to blogging, but not new to car clubs. I have furnished custom made car badges to dozens of car clubs all over the country. I have a web site that I feel you will find both interesting and informative. Please pay me a visit when you have time.
**car clubs**canada car club mitsubishi

superlong said...

Cool site on suck penis Check out my Penis Enlargement